Marina is little dalmatian place situated half way between
Split and Šibenik. She offers to its visitors pure
environment, untouched nature with 100 years old pines and cypress
trees, olive trees, agaves, long beaches and numerous small bays
with crystal clear sea-water. There are city's near bay Marina where
you can find lots of fan, historical monuments, natural beauties...
A few nice restaurants in Marina, serve Dalmatian specialties in
rustically arranged gardens in outside or indoor facilities.
located near Marina (12km), a town-museum of the medieval heritage.
Its history goes back to the Hellenic times when it was known as
Tragurion.Archeological sites have shown that Trogir is one of the
oldest towns on Mediterranean, whose history goes back to 2000 B.C.
In the 3rd century B.C. Greek settlement Tragurion founded by
Dorians from Syracuse, traders from the nearby island Issa (Vis). It
was named after the Greek name tragos (goat), the way Greeks named
the nearby mountain Kozjak, which was full of goats.
The same arrangement of streets is present in Trogir even today, and
the main square with the cathedral was once agora. After the war of
Cesar and Pompeii in 49 B.C. Trogir lost the battle as the ally of
Pompeii, and became municipium within Roman Empire and it was called
Tragurium. Historian Plinius mentiones Tragurium as “marmore notum”
(known for marble) for its quality stone taken out in the vicinity
of Trogir even today. Besides trade, it was the main source of
income of the town.
40km far from Marina is Split - a 1700-year-old city, located
in the heart of Central Dalmatia! Diocletian's Palace - the best
preserved antique architectural structure in Croatia originated
during the 4th century covering an area of 38 500 m2 and truly
impresses one with its exceptional beauty. UNESCO recognizedits
values and included it in the registry.After the Romans abandoned the site, the Palace remained empty for several centuries. In the 7th century nearby residents fled to the walled palace to
escape invading barbarians. Since then the palace has been occupied, with
residents making their homes and businesses within the palace basement and
directly in its walls.Today many
restaurants and shops, and some homes, can still be found within the walls.After theMiddle Ages the
palace was virtually unknown in the West until the Scottish
neo-classical architect Robert Adam had the ruins
surveyed and, with the aid of French artist and antiquary Charles-Louis Clérisseau and
several draughtsmen, published Ruins of the Palace of the Emperor Diocletian
at Spalatro in Dalmatia(London, 1764). Diocletian's palace was an
inspiration for Adam's new style of Neoclassical architecture and the
publication of measured drawings brought it into the design vocabulary of
European architecture for the first time. A few decades later, in 1782, the
French painter Louis-François Cassascreated
drawings of the palace, published by Joseph Lavallée in 1802 in the chronicles
of his voyages .